In times of global political turmoil, a strong united Europe is more important than ever. The strained transatlantic relationship and the dynamic rise of China pose growing challenges for Europe. Europe has to speak with one voice to not lose touch in the worsening international competition.
Strengthen the European Union to better compete with China
The European Union and Germany both face growing challenges posed by China and its state-led economy. Although China remains an important partner, it has at the same time become a systemic competitor, said BDI President Kempf on the occasion of the presentation of a new policy paper on China.
EU Special Summit: Industry expects a clear sign of agreement
- Regarding the fundamental agreement between the Brexit negotiators on a political declaration and ahead of the EU Special Summit on Sunday, BDI Director General Joachim Lang says reopening the negotiations is not the way Forward.
EU and US Must Apply the Emergency Brake in the Trade Dispute
- In regards to the meeting between US President Donald Trump and EU Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker, BDI President Dieter Kempf urged: Tariffs imposed under the guise of national security should be removed. International trade disputes must be dealt with and resolved within the WTO...
Midterm Elections: U.S. Collision Course is Likely to Continue
- The Trump administration's collision course remains a threat to the global economy. German industry doesn't expect the election results to change the current protectionist course of US trade policy, says BDI President Kempf. Instead of going it alone, the US should contribute to create modern trade...
US Government is putting the World Trade System at risk by blocking the WTO
- The BDI warns against a targeted weakening of the World Trade Organization. Washington is undermining international trade law. Challenges relating to global trade can only be resolved multilaterally.
Asia-Pacific Conference: World Trade Regime in the Spotlight
- Asia-Pacific being one of the fastest growing regions in the world makes exchange with the region’s countries more important than ever for German economy. This year’s Asia-Pacific Conference of German Business (APK) is focusing on global trade regimes, on expansion of infrastructure in Asia as well...
Katrin #Suder is 100% right!! Cybersecurity matters. Within the last two years, almost 70% of German companies suffered a cyberattack. For the same period, damage amounts to 43 (!) billion Euro. #hubberlin
#eHealth is booming. Every year, medical #StartUps are raising billions of USD. Their goal: to develop applications, services & digital solutions for preventive, clinical & administrative aspects of healthcare. #hubberlin #BAS19
U.S. President Trump decided to impose tariffs on steel and aluminum imports. An investigation by the U.S. Department of Commerce had come to the conclusion that these imports threatened the national security. The tariffs came into effect in late March 2018. The EU was exempted until the end of May 2018. The EU is also currently conducting a safeguard investigation for steel and requested consultations with the United States at the WTO. These are steps in the right direction.